League members discuss and reminisce about their projects and fellow league members in the video collaboration by Treetop Productions and League of Women Voters Lawrence-Douglas County.
Dr. Farris Muhammad, Director of Equity and Inclusion for Lawrence, KS will present: “Shared Responsibilities in Advancing Equity in our Community.” Join us for this interactive event to learn how you can make a difference. https://bit.ly/3LtvdGR
A new League year is starting: April 1, 2022 to March 31, 2023. Your participation with us during the past year has been especially valuable and we hope it will continue into this important election year. If you wish to maintain your League membership, please let us know by downloading, filling out and mailing the Membership Form to: LWVL-DC, PO Box 1072, Lawrence, KS 66044. The membership form is found at https://lawrenceleague.com on the “Join and Renew” page. Unfortunately, we do not have a fillable membership form on our website currently.
Student members don’t pay dues, but we do need renewal information from you. We want your data in our records to be correct and current. Please let us know if you are still a student, still interested in belonging to the LWVL-DC, and any changes in your information.
Marjorie Cole, membership
Join us in person at Smith Center at Brandon Woods, 4730 Brandon Woods Terrace , OR via Zoom at this link
As Douglas County is now ranked as “High” transmission for Covid cases we are asking in person attendees to be masked. Coffee and teas will be provided, but no food as to minimize time attendees are unmasked. Attendance numbers are needed for the venue, so please register. The “League of Women Voters Lawrence-Douglas County: Memories from 50-Year Members” video will be premiered and we will recognize our 50 year members. Annual Business Meeting will be conducted after the showing.
Membership dues must be paid; with the exception of lifetime members, to vote in the Annual Business Meeting. You can pay your dues through PayPal button or QR code on lawrenceleague.com website.
For questions, contact Denise Pettengill: firstname.lastname@example.org or 785-331-9276
Thursday, March 24, 2022, Noon to 1 PM via Zoom
On August 2, Kansas voters will have the opportunity to vote “NO” to protect the right to abortion in the state constitution. Join Leslie Butsch and Rachel Stoutamire with Planned Parenthood Great Plains Votes and Kansans for Constitutional Freedom to gain a background understanding of the amendment, hear about the messages we’re using, and learn how to talk to your friends and neighbors about defending reproductive freedom in Kansas. https://tinyurl.com/3pdn72mj
Join us for Hot Topics! Thursday, March 24, noon to 1 PM via Zoom. The Kansas Constitutional Amendment that is on the primary ballot August 2nd, 2022 will be discussed along with a messaging training to help you talk about this proposed amendment.
Video Recording of February 10, 2022 meeting. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQLHXioJsQvnyqsoRdFxUaQ/videos
Background Resources for Feb 10 Hot Topics Panel Discussion
We recommend you review these resources for background information before the event on Feb 10, 7 pm, Zoom link
- Past school board meetings on youtube.com: youtube.com/channel/UCDNfIyX7scvt3aCEjRaCkrA/videos
- Livestream for current meetings: youtube.com/channel/UCDNfIyX7scvt3aCEjRaCkrA
- Budget and Program Evaluation Committee: Equity Impact Analysis of Budget Saving Proposals. Wednesday, Feb 9 at 4 pm youtube.com/usd497
- School finance explanations from Kathy Johnson, executive director of Finance, USD 497, Jan 10 Budget Report: youtube.com/watch?v=Jx4j-vKoBts Starts 2:51:05, Ends 3:20:50
- Aug 9, 2021, Budget Report: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVhq860e2qs Starts 43:17 Ends 2:48:18
- Shannon Kimball, vice president USD 497, speaking at Jan 24 meeting. Statement on the board history of financial decision making from 2012 to present: youtube.com/watch?v=IquSHZlo1CY Starts 3:13:12 Ends 3:25:47.
- Budget Summary Info 2022-2023; Jan.19th Budget and Program Evaluation Committee. Budget Summary Information 2022-2023_2022Jan19_BPEC_USED (usd497.org)
- Equity Impact Analysis Tool used by BPEC USD 497: https://lawrencekstimes.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/02/EQUITY-IMPACT-ANALYSIS-TOOL-2.8.2022.pdf
- Website: https://www.saveourschools497.org
- SaveOurSchools Concerns: https://lwvldc.files.wordpress.com/2022/02/sosconcerns-1.pdf
- SaveOurSchools FAQ: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Vc9kBOsE4Vo-KZI1QtuCCzRYyNFKRj95m7SlKN6w0Ls
- Articles regarding harm caused by closing neighborhood schools: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1MCLD6SnMnvW_8nBYzub2OTN-dnKNn6JHaLucbWBGmzo
- Call to Action: https://lwvldc.files.wordpress.com/2022/02/call-to-action-2-2.pdf
Feb 10, 7 pm, Zoom link
Join us as Shannon Berquist, Kelly Jones, Alicia Erickson and Kay Emerson discuss “The Future of Our Schools.” Find much background information here. For more information, please contact Denise