Information about voter registration and upcoming elections.
Information about the November 2016 general election
To download a list of all local, state, and national candidates for office in Douglas County, click here
To visit a well-regarded, unbiased, website that will help you find out about all the presidential candidates, click here
The people who know the justices best - attorneys and other judges - gave extremely high marks in the comprehensive and anonymous 2016 Judicial Review Survey to four justices targeted for defeat this November. For more information, click here
. An excellent editorial on this subject appeared in the Kansas City Star
. Read it here
(August 27, 2016).
You can view Lawrence Voter Education Coalition pre-primary forums for Kansas House Districts 42, 44, and 45 here
and for Douglas County Commission District 3 here
For more information about the upcoming elections, visit the VEC Facebook page
Kansas Voter Registration Information
If you are registering to vote in Kansas for the first time, you will need to provide proof of U.S. citizenship. For more information about citizenship requirements, acceptable proof of citizenship documents, and other frequently asked questions (FAQs), visit the Douglas County Clerk's website
Individuals registered to vote in Kansas as of January 1, 2013, are deemed to have submitted proof of citizenship and are exempt from the requirement as long as they remain on the voter registration list. Moving from one place to another within Kansas or modifying one's registration records does not require the person to re-submit proof of citizenship. If a voter's registration is canceled, the person must submit a citizenship document when re-registering.
If you have moved since you last voted, you should update your voter registration with the County Clerk's office so that you will be assigned to the correct voting precinct.
Here are some other helpful links for voters!
- Check your voter registration online by entering your first and last names and date of birth here.
- If you have a Kansas driver's license or Kansas non-driver ID, you can register to vote or update your registration online here.
- If you want to register to vote in Kansas with a paper form, click here.
- New Kansas voters need to provide "proof of citizenship" in order to register to vote. To find out more about accepted documents, click here.
- If you were born in Kansas, you can request a certified copy of your Kansas birth certificate here; you can request a FREE copy of your birth certificate with this form (form BCA) here.
- If you were born in another state, you can find information about how obtain vital records from your state here.
- To update your Kansas driver's license and voter registration address online, click here.
- Finally, for everything you ever wanted to know about presidential elections, check out the League guide to Electing the President [pdf].
Important 2016 Voting Deadlines
July 12. Last day to register to vote in Kansas primary elections
July 13. First day for advance voting in primary elections
July 29. Last day to request an absentee ballot by mail
August 1. Last day for advance voting in person
August 2. Primary elections and last day for absentee ballot to be received
October 18. Last day to register to vote in the general election
October 19. First day for advance voting in general election
November 4. Last day to request an absentee ballot by mail
November 7. Last day for advance voting in person
November 8. General election and absentee ballots must be received by close of polls (7 pm)
Douglas County Voter Suspense List (updated April 12, 2016)
As of June 20, 2016, there are 988 names on the voter suspense list in Douglas County.
The complete (updated!) list is downloadable as a pdf, arranged by city, then last name of registrant, here
All of the people on the suspense list have submitted a voter registration application, but have not provided proof of citizenship. Names that are on the suspense list for 90 days will be purged, and the citizen will need to resubmit a voter application and provide the proof of citizenship document in order to be registered to vote.
The Secretary of State has proposed new regulations which will remove all names that have been on the suspense list longer than 90 days. The Douglas County Clerk's Office has ruled that they will not begin purging voters from the Douglas County suspense list until 90 days after October 2, 2015.
If you or someone one you know is on this list, please send in your document, or help the person you know, so you can be fully registered to vote in next year's presidential election. To finish the voter registration:
1) You can make a copy of your "proof of citizenship": U.S. Birth certificate, or U.S. Passport (page containing passport number and signature), or Naturalization document, or other documentation and mail it or take it or the original to:
Douglas County Clerk
1100 Massachusetts St
Lawrence, KS 66044
2) Fax it to 785-832-5192;
3) OR you can take an electronic image with a smart phone and email it to email@example.com
If you have moved since you filled out a voter application, please update your information using forms found here
If you have questions, you can call the Douglas County Clerks office at 785-832-5267, or visit their web site
If you are uncertain whether you are registered to vote or not, you can find out here
Local and State Elections
Check back with us when the next election cycle begins in summer 2016!
Viewing and Printing PDF Files
You will need Adobe Reader to view or print PDF files. Click on the Adobe icon to download this free program.