Making Democracy Work

Information about voter registration and upcoming elections.

Douglas County Voter Suspense List (updated November 2, 2016)

As of November 2, 2016, there are 143 names on the voter suspense list in Douglas County. The complete (updated!) list is downloadable as a pdf, arranged by city, then last name of registrant, here.

All of the people on the suspense list have submitted a voter registration application, but have not provided proof of citizenship. These citizens need to provide a proof of citizenship document to the Douglas County Election Office by the end of the day, Monday, November 7, 2016, in order to have their vote counted for the November 8 General Election.

If you or someone one you know is on this list, please send in your document, or help the person you know, so you can be fully registered to vote in next year's presidential election. To finish the voter registration:

1) You can make a copy of your "proof of citizenship": U.S. Birth certificate, or U.S. Passport (page containing passport number and signature), or Naturalization document, or other documentation and mail it or take it or the original to:

Douglas County Clerk
1100 Massachusetts St
Lawrence, KS 66044

2) Fax it to 785-832-5192;

3) OR you can take an electronic image with a smart phone and email it to

Voters who registered to vote at the DMV or with a federal voter registration application, but did not provide a proof of citizenship document, are not on this list, as recent court decisions have said that those citizens are eligible to vote a full, regular ballot for the November 8 General Election.

If you have questions, you can call the Douglas County Clerks office at 785-832-5267, or visit their web site.

If you are uncertain whether you are registered to vote or not, you can find out here.

Important 2016 Voting Deadlines

November 7. Last day for advance voting in person. Advance voting ends today at 12 pm!
November 8. General election and absentee ballots must be received by close of polls (7 pm)

General election: National Offices

To download a list of all local, state, and national candidates for office in Douglas County, click here [pdf].

To visit a well-regarded, unbiased, website that will help you find out about all the presidential candidates, click here.

General election: Local and state office

To access the Lawrence Journal-World Voter Guide to local, state, and national races, click here.

You can now view videos of recent Voter Education Coalition Candidate forums.
To view the forum with candidates for Kansas House of Representatives Districts 42, 44, and 45 (recorded Oct 16), click here. [Note: The video stops at 47.20 for several minutes while the KU journalism students change film. Use your curser to move the time a few seconds later to watch the remaining video.]
To view the forum with candidates for Kansas Senate Districts 2 and 3 (recorded Oct 16), click here.
To view the forum with candidates for Kansas Board of Education District 4 (recorded Oct 17), click here.
To view the forum with candidates for Douglas County Commission Districts 2 and 3 (recorded Oct 17), click here.
For coverage of these forums in Lawrence Journal-World, check out the following links!
For an article on the forums on House and Senate races, click here. [Note that the LJW did a little fact-checking that candidate for Senate District 2 incorrectly stated that the equalization payment went to the school district, while, in fact, it only relieved property taxes and did not increase the school district funds.
For an article on the forums on Douglas County Commission races, click here.
No article appeared in the Journal-World on the Kansas Board of Education District 4 forum.

General Election: Judicial retention

You can now view videos of League's October Hot Topic on the Informed Voters, Fair Judges Project, with Kansas Supreme Court Justices Marla Luckert and Carol Beier, click here.

The people who know the justices best - attorneys and other judges - gave extremely high marks in the comprehensive and anonymous 2016 Judicial Review Survey to four justices targeted for defeat this November. For more information, click here. An excellent editorial on this subject appeared in the Kansas City Star. Read it here (August 27, 2016).

Kansas Voter Registration Information

If you are registering to vote in Kansas for the first time, you will need to provide proof of U.S. citizenship. For more information about citizenship requirements, acceptable proof of citizenship documents, and other frequently asked questions (FAQs), visit the Douglas County Clerk's website.

Individuals registered to vote in Kansas as of January 1, 2013, are deemed to have submitted proof of citizenship and are exempt from the requirement as long as they remain on the voter registration list. Moving from one place to another within Kansas or modifying one's registration records does not require the person to re-submit proof of citizenship. If a voter's registration is canceled, the person must submit a citizenship document when re-registering.

If you have moved since you last voted, you should update your voter registration with the County Clerk's office so that you will be assigned to the correct voting precinct.

Here are some other helpful links for voters!

  • Check your voter registration online by entering your first and last names and date of birth here.
  • If you have a Kansas driver's license or Kansas non-driver ID, you can register to vote or update your registration online here.
  • If you want to register to vote in Kansas with a paper form, click here.
  • New Kansas voters need to provide "proof of citizenship" in order to register to vote. To find out more about accepted documents, click here.
  • If you were born in Kansas, you can request a certified copy of your Kansas birth certificate here; you can request a FREE copy of your birth certificate with this form (form BCA) here.
  • If you were born in another state, you can find information about how obtain vital records from your state here.
  • To update your Kansas driver's license and voter registration address online, click here.
  • Finally, for everything you ever wanted to know about presidential elections, check out the League guide to Electing the President [pdf].

Viewing and Printing PDF Files

Get Adobe Reader to read PDF files You will need Adobe Reader to view or print PDF files. Click on the Adobe icon to download this free program.